For the beauty of the amphitheatrical location at the head of the valley Kamari and the security provided by the medieval fortress Argirokasto, Magouliana climbed higher than any other village in the Peloponnese, reaching 1,240 meters. The village occupies the entire basin, facing south and exposed to the sun all day long, thus softening the effects altitude might otherwise have. The villagers were mainly employed in farming, making use the vast pastures of the surrounding peaks. During winter the conditions were very difficult in the zone over 1000 m and livestock and shepherds went to the lowlands of Achaia and Ilia, where many gradually settled, founding offspring settlements, like the Magoulianitika.
The imposingness of the three big churches, the parish church of the Virgin (1840), Aghios Demetrios and Aghios Ioanis (18th c.) and the simple lines of the terrain, on which the stone houses seem to roll down, give to the village an atmosphere of consistency and tranquility. On the small plateau of the peak Castle, which protects the the village from the northern winds, the remains of the medieval castle Argirokastro can be found, around the church of Aghios Georgios, which has been erected later. In the area Korfoxylia, west of the village, is the old Sanatorium of Manna. Constructed on funds collected by the volunteer Anna Papadopoulou and built by craftsmen of Lagadia with local stones, it was established in 1928. It quickly became a regular hospital and for years it was an important social and economic node in the region.